Monday, January 25, 2016

Post #1

     Computers are a very important part of the educational experience today.  Basically everything we do today is all on the computer.  It is very easy for a teacher to give a lesson or show a video via the computer, and is also easy to see and learn for visual learners.  One of the examples from the chapter states that a concern with using technology in schools is that technology may not be emphasized as much in schools.  This could be because some schools simply cannot afford certain types of technology, which is not only a concern, but also a challenge.
     The ISTE's standards main goal is to define what someone needs to know specifically about technology.  The NETS are also standards for the ISTE that evaluates the teachers knowledge and skills within the technology field.  I believe the standard about facilitating and inspiring student learning and creativity is very important as a teacher, to get all of the creative juices flowing within a student.  However, promoting and modeling digital citizenship and responsibility seems a little out of my reach, considering I don't believe I am qualified to do that yet.
     I can very much agree with the podcast's definition of being a digital native.  A digital native is someone who grew up using technology, and now knows how to use it because of the environment they grew up in.  I believe that my generation and the ones a little younger and older than mine have an easier time using technology than many older teachers do today.  For example, kids my age know how to use certain things on a smartphone like a game or even on a gaming console a lot better than a senior citizen (in my opinion).  Between me and my future students, I see them being more technologically advanced because they will be younger and more up to date with the current technology than I will be.

2 comments:

  1. Hallie good to have you in the digital native family hopefully we can both keep up with our students in regards to technology and maintain that digital native status

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallie good to have you in the digital native family hopefully we can both keep up with our students in regards to technology and maintain that digital native status

    ReplyDelete